T O P

UPDATE: Ocean Drover Fire Contained

first_imgWorld Maritime News Staff, October 10, 2014; Image: MUA zoom Ocean DroverAfter over 18 hours the fire on board the livestock carrier Ocean Drover in Fremantle Harbour WA, Australia, has been extinguished.One Filipino seafarer remains in a critical condition after sustaining burns and smoke inhalation after yesterday’s fire.Another two seafarers who were taken to hospital have been cleared for release and will join the other 52 crew in accommodation being provided by the Australian shipping company – Wellard, according to the Maritime Union of Australia (MUA).International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITF) Inspector Keith McCorriston said the fire took more than 18 hours to extinguish and he believes the ship will be unable to sail in its current condition.Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) crews are continuing thermal monitoring this morning and the work of assessing the cause of the fire and extent of the damage will begin once safe entry is available, the Freemantle Ports said in a release.“At about 0900 on 9 October, a fire was reported to have started in the ship’s accommodation. The ship’s crew and local authorities responded to the fire. All the crew were accounted for and one crew member was sent to a hospital ashore for treatment to burns,” the Australian Transport Bureau’s report from yesterday said.Ocean Drover, the world’s largest, purpose-built livestock carrier, is operated by Singapore-based Wellard Ships.The vessel was scheduled to load 6,000 cattle and take on more livestock in Darwin next week before heading to Indonesia.The extent of the damage is unknown, however, ATSB assigned the fire with “serious incident” category.Managing director of Wellard, Mauro Balzarini,  told ABC that the vessel will be out of action for months.Fortunately, there were no livestock on board when the fire started.The ATSB has commenced an investigation into this accident. The Bureau said it would designate an investigation team to collect relevant evidence including interviewing directly involved parties.Report on the investigation is expected by September 2015.The International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITF) says that the major blaze on board the livestock carrier Ocean Drover in Fremantle once again shows the dangers of sub-standard Flag of Convenience (FOC) shipping.ITF Australia Co-ordinator Dean Summers said  around 70 seafarers from the Philippines and India work on the vessel, which is Australian-owned, managed in Croatia, and flagged in Singapore.“As always our first concern is for the seafarers who are often forced to live in unsafe, cramped and dangerous conditions,” Mr Summers said.“The crew does not have the appropriate ITF agreement to guarantee minimum pay and conditions for those working on board the vessel.“Unfortunately the Australian owners have used the FOC system which has been at the centre of serious problems in the region.”The ship owners, Wellard Estates, also operate two sister ships – the Ocean Swagman and Ocean Outback – which also trade to south-east Asia Australia under the same arrangements, according to MUA.The departure of two ships  was delayed  yesterday but the Inner Harbour  was re-opened to shipping  at 4 p.m. yesterday afternoon. Cargo handling operations have resumed at the Fremantle port, the port authority said this morning.last_img read more

I want to see mummy Ian Bradys chilling audio tape recording of

first_imgAs the jury had been warned, some passages were harrowing.The phrases “Let me go” and “Please” were audible, and also “Don’t undress me, will you?” and “I want to see mummy”.At one point there was a blowing sound into the microphone and a child screaming: “Don’t” and “Mum, ah”. The tape ran on: Woman (Hindley): “Shut up” Child: “Please God help me, ah, please, oh.” Woman: “Come on.”  Child: “Please, please – Oh (then faintly),”Help, oh, I cannot while you have got hold of my neck. Oh (followed by scream) – Help (followed by gurgling noise).” There were “screams and gurgles”.  Woman: “Sit down and be quiet” Man (Brady): “Go on.” In 1966, a tape recording of Lesley Ann Downey’s terrified last moments was played to the all-male jury at Chester Assizes years after her callous murder.The Telegraph reported at the time: “For its 16 minutes, the people in the courtroom sat still and silent.”Sir Elwyn Jones QC, the Attorney General, who led the prosecution, said the voices of the man and woman were those of Brady and Hindley. The victims of moors murderer Ian Brady, who has died in hospital. (From left) John Kilbride, 12, 10-year-old Lesley Ann Downey Edward Evans, 17, Pauline Reade, 16, and 12-year-old Keith Bennett, whose body was never found Credit:PA Ian Brady in police custody prior to a court appearance, when he was charged with the murder of 10 year-old Lesley Ann Downey on October 22 1965Credit:Popperfoto Ian Brady in police custody prior to a court appearance, when he was charged with the murder of 10 year-old Lesley Ann Downey on October 22 1965 Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. the victims of moors murderer Ian Brady, who has died in hospital. (From left) John Kilbride, 12, 10-year-old Lesley Ann Downey Edward Evans, 17, Pauline Reade, 16, and 12-year-old Keith Bennett, whose body was never found  Setting the scene, Sir Elwyn said there were “various noises, sounds of a door banging, crackling noises, heavy steps across the room, recording noise, followed by a blowing sound into the microphone, then footsteps.”Then…”there were the voices of a child and a woman, a child’s screams and cries and man’s voice. At one stage the girl said she was called Lesley Ann. The man said he wanted to take some photographs.”The Telegraph reported that the tape was played “at full volume, a loud scream echoing through the court after several minutes during which only the footsteps and soft voices in the background could be heard”. In her evidence, Hindley denied involvement in the murders of Lesley Ann, John Kilbride and Edward Evans, claiming that she left Lesley Ann alive after naked photographs were taken of her by Brady and another man.She told Sir Elwyn in cross-examination that she had put her hands over her ears to cover the noise of Edward’s death from Brady’s hatchet blows.Sir Elwyn: “This court has heard of another scream, more than one, in a room where you were?”Hindley: “Yes.” “The screams of a little girl of 10, of your sex, madam?””Yes.””Did you put your hands over your ears when you heard the screams of Lesley Ann Downey?””No.””Why not?””I wanted her to be quiet.””Or get the child out?””I should have done. I didn’t. I have no defence for that. No defence. It was indefensible.”It was cruel.” At another point, the woman said: “Hush, Hush, shut up or I will forget myself and hit you one. I will hit you one.”In another passage, Lesley Ann pleaded: “Can I tell you summat. I must tell you summat. Take your hands off me for a minute, please… Please, mum, please – I cannot tell you. I cannot breathe…Please God …Why? What are you going to do with me?” Man: “I want to take some photographs, that is all.” Child: “I want to see my mummy…Honest to God. I will swear on the Bible… I have got to go because I am going out with my Mama. Please, please help me, will you.” Man: “The longer it takes you to do this, the longer it takes you to get home.”At another point Brady said: “If you don’t keep that hand down, I will slit your neck.”As The Telegraph noted: “The court was still and quiet. Suddenly a child’s scream and a cry filled the room.”last_img read more

Jury empanelled for 2013 Port Kaituma murder trial

A 12-member jury was empanelled before Justice James Bovell-Drakes at the High Court in Georgetown on Monday to hear the trial of Vigilance, East Coast Demerara resident Michael Britton, who is accused of murdering miner Refford Williams at 10 Miles Backdam, Port Kaituma, in the North-West District.Murder accused: Michael BrittonIt was contended that Britton, also called “Rasta Man”, used a piece of metal pipe to carry out the gruesome act on July 25, 2013.However, when finally given the chance to respond to the State’s accusation, four years after the crime was committed, Britton entered a plea of not guilty in a barely audible tone. Williams, who was also known as “Kamarang”, met his demise by way of blunt trauma in addition to a ruptured spleen. Reports back then were that after an intense argument between the two miners, Britton retrieved the metal pipe which he used to inflict injuries on Williams.The accused is being represented by defence counsel Ronald Burch-Smith while State Counsel Mandel Moore is leading the State’s case. The matter was adjourned to this morning (Tuesday) when the first set of witnesses will begin testifying before the jury. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedDuo freed of murder of Brazilian gold minerJune 12, 2019In “Court”High Court trial begins for duo accused of killing 3 in Robb St arsonAugust 21, 2019In “Court”LUSIGNAN MASSACRE: Appeal Court orders retrial for acquitted accusedMarch 9, 2016In “latest news” read more