The Great Balsam Bike Relay is still accepting online registrations through 8/8/18. On Saturday, August 11th, teams of two, three, or four riders will combine their mountain biking, gravel grinding, and road cycling skills to tackle the beautiful trails, gravel roads, and asphalt climbs of Jackson County, North Carolina. Modeled on popular running relays like The Smoky Mountain Relay and The Blue Ridge Relay, teams of cyclists will take on challenging terrain in a festive team atmosphere. The race route is a secret until race check-in, at which time teams will receive maps and cue sheets detailing the course. For teams of four, each rider will ride two race segments. The total length of the ride is 180 miles (roughly 45 miles per rider) with a short-course option available as well. Both competitive and casual riders will enjoy the course, which treats cyclists to lesser-known routes with stunning river, lake, and mountain scenery. The ride finishes at the award-winning Innovation Station craft brewery in Dillsboro, NC, where riders will celebrate the ride with free beer and catered farm-to-table tacos from Foragers Canteen. Camping and lodging discounts are available. Use coupon code “lastchance” for 10% off of your entire team’s registration. For more information and to register, visit www.darkridgeracing.com
By Dialogo August 25, 2009 Around thirty rescue personnel and a helicopter from the United States are searching for American tourist David Gimelfarb, who has been missing for a week in Rincón de la Vieja National Park, in northern Costa Rica. The Red Cross announced that on Wednesday, 11 August, Gimelfarb set out alone on a trail in the park, in which the Rincón de la Vieja volcano is located, in the northern province of Liberia, and has been missing since then. “Several Red Cross patrols accompanied by park rangers have continually entered the park in different areas in order to try to locate the foreigner, although the effort has been suspended several times due to adverse weather conditions, principally electrical storms and heavy rain,” a statement by the organization indicated. This Wednesday the U.S. embassy provided a helicopter to intensify the search, which will begin again Thursday morning. The authorities have explained that the tourist may be in a difficult situation, since the park is made up of two zones, a rocky one around the volcano’s cone that is frequently covered with fog, disorienting those who are not familiar with the area, and a densely-forested one in which it rains heavily. It also cannot be ruled out that Gimelfarb may have been injured and may be waiting to be rescued.
Nov 10, 2008 (CIDRAP News) The agriculture ministry in Thailand today confirmed an H5N1 avian influenza outbreak in backyard birds in Sukhothai province, the country’s first outbreak since January, according to news agencies. See also: Agriculture Minister Somsak Prisanananthakul said lab tests yesterday revealed an H5N1 infection in one chicken after 7 of 17 birds at a family home died last week, the Associated Press reported today. Sukothai province is in northwestern Thailand. Somsak told reporters at a press conference today that animal health officials culled 270 other birds in the area to control the virus, according to a report from Agence Presse-France today. He added that officials have received no reports of suspicious human illnesses related to the poultry outbreak and that authorities were investigating the source of the outbreak. Apr 25 OIE report Thailand’s last outbreaks were reported in January, according to an April report from the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE). Those two outbreaks struck poultry in Nakhon Sawan and Phichit provinces, both in central Thailand. Officials culled 53,688 birds at the outbreak sites and another 5,120 birds from surrounding areas.
The Uruguayan was back in the starting XI for Wednesday’s clash with Liverpool (Picture: Getty)Ian Wright appeared to aim a subtle dig at Unai Emery’s decision to leave Lucas Torreira out the Arsenal starting XI this season, praising his performance when returned to his usual midfield berth.The Uruguayan enforcer has only started twice in the Premier League this season despite the Gunners’ sub-par performances, while Emery has rather confusingly been playing him in a more advanced role.He was brought back into the team on Wednesday night against Liverpool as Emery heavily rotated his squad, scoring his side’s first goal in a thrilling 5-5 draw that was decided on penalties as Liverpool progressed.AdvertisementAdvertisementMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityHe was sitting deep once again at Anfield, with Joe Willock and Mesut Ozil further ahead, and gave a performance that suggests he should be in contention to play in the Premier League on Saturday.ADVERTISEMENTGunners legend Wright has routinely called for Torreira to come into the side and provide more protection, and made his feelings clear when he replied to an Instagram post from the Uruguayan.Torreira had uploaded pictures of his goal, with Wright responding: ‘In your position doing what we know you can do!!!!!’With doubts over whether Granit Xhaka will be involved against Wolves on Saturday after his clash with fans last weekend, Torreira’s return to the fold could be an easy problem-solver.Although Xhaka was voted as captain by his peers, his performances have been far from spectacular, and there have been calls from fans to see a midfield of Torreira and Matteo Guendouzi, with either Ozil or Dani Ceballos further forward pulling strings. Ian Wright praises Arsenal midfielder Lucas Torreira and takes subtle dig at Unai Emery Advertisement Advertisement Comment Metro Sport ReporterThursday 31 Oct 2019 12:51 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.4kShares Emery has been trying to turn Torreira into more of a box-to-box threat (Picture: Getty)Defending Torreira’s change of role, Emery explained: ‘I am very happy with him and we need him. Then we use different structures in different matches and he has confidence. I was speaking with him about his best position to help us in our shape. It depends on the shape. Last season his best position was playing as a deep midfield two alongside Xhaka or Matteo.‘This year we are playing also sometimes with just one and he can achieve with his quality to get to the box and get closer to score. He is very intelligent about getting space around the box and taking chances.‘Then also, when we prepare the team to do high pressing, for us he is very important because he is very intelligent tactically, but he can play in the two positions. [Either as] one of the two midfielders [or] he can play higher for the pressing and to get into the box. Sometimes we also use him as a one-man in midfield doing the covering for the two other players ahead.’Should Lucas Torreira start against Wolves?No0%Yes0%Share your resultsShare your resultsTweet your resultsMORE: Unai Emery explains why he subbed off Mesut Ozil during Arsenal’s defeat to LiverpoolMORE: Kieran Tierney stops Arsenal players from walking straight down tunnel after Liverpool defeatMore: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal
Healthcare, National Issues, Seniors, The Blog For years and years, Republicans in Washington have promised that they have a plan that would lower healthcare costs and improve services for all Americans. On Monday, they finally revealed the legislation.We read their plan. And it doesn’t lower costs or improve services.In fact, this plan would be an absolute nightmare for Pennsylvanians.This plan:Would have a devastating effect on public health services for Pennsylvania’s most vulnerable populations – like children, seniors, and those living in rural areas.Gives a tax cut for millionaires while making it harder for hard working Pennsylvanians to purchase health insurance.Would strip coverage from those seeking to treat a substance use disorder amid a opioid and heroin public health crisis.Allows insurance companies to charge seniors five times more than others and would drastically cut subsidies for seniors, especially those with fixed or low incomes and in rural areas.Defunds Planned Parenthood in a major blow to women’s healthcare.Forces Pennsylvanians to pay more for less care and charges higher deductibles and higher premiums for low income residents.Hampers our ability to detect, prevent, and respond to potentially devastating disease outbreaks like influenza and foodborne illnesses.These are just a few of the ways this bill would be devastating for Pennsylvanians, but Republicans in Washington are hellbent on pushing this legislation without public vetting. Americans are being given less than seven days to understand how this bill would negatively impact their health, finances, and family.Governor Wolf is standing up to the Republicans in Washington to fight for Pennsylvania families. Yesterday, he wrote to five Pennsylvania Congressmen on two key U.S. House committees to formally ask them to reject this legislation, which the administration’s analysis says would cause serious harm to Pennsylvania seniors, individuals with disabilities, and populations with both Medicaid and private insurance and force the state to find billions of dollars or eliminate access to quality health care to hard working Pennsylvanians.Governor Wolf will continue to do everything he can to fight this plan and ensure that Pennsylvanians will continue to have access to quality, affordable healthcare. March 09, 2017 Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf By: Sarah Galbally, Secretary of Policy and Planning SHARE TWEET SHARE Email Facebook Twitter We Read the GOP Healthcare Repeal Plan and It’s as Bad as You Think
The Blog, Transparency If you’re interested in all the breaking news coming from Governor Tom Wolf’s Press and Communications Office, we’ve got you covered.From press releases to live video streams, keep up with it all by following @GovernorsOffice on Twitter.Want to be the very first to hear about breaking news? Enable mobile notifications on your Twitter app for the @GovernorsOffice account and you’ll get a push notification every time we post.By following @GovernorsOffice, you’ll also get first access to photos, videos, and more.Take a look at what you’re missing — and then make sure you follow us on Twitter..@GovernorTomWolf calls for universal statewide blood-lead level testing for Pennsylvania children. https://t.co/FT9s3QsMPl— The Press Office (@GovernorsOffice) August 30, 2017 By: The Office of Governor Tom Wolf October 11, 2017 .@GovernorTomWolf has ordered all commonwealth flags at the Capitol Complex and throughout the state lowered to half-staff to honor the victims of the attack at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas, Nevada. https://t.co/vzYzyL6rA2— The Press Office (@GovernorsOffice) October 2, 2017 ? Photos from today’s rally against the @SenateGOP health care bill attended by @SenBobCasey and @CommMiller. https://t.co/9tvnyDHJVr pic.twitter.com/Jb10qx9MYS— The Press Office (@GovernorsOffice) June 23, 2017 Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf .@GovernorTomWolf released the following statement regarding #PAbudget negotiations with @PaLegis. https://t.co/zrNuqvXhTS— The Press Office (@GovernorsOffice) September 18, 2017 Did you know you can find The Press Office on Twitter? SHARE TWEET ? LIVE NOW: @GovernorTomWolf provides update on Bedford train derailment response, evacuation. Watch: https://t.co/EGQoferwe6— The Press Office (@GovernorsOffice) August 2, 2017 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
The property at 42 — 44 Balmoral Place, Deception Bay sold at auction.THE auction of a four-unit property in Deception Bay attracted a small crowd and three keen bidders last Saturday. The 810sq m property on two titles at 42-44 Balmoral Place sold under the hammer for $645,000. Marketing agent David Cottee, of Cottee Real Estate, said he had four bidders register for the auction but only three were active on the day. “There was a small crowd of only about eight — it was basically just the bidders,” he said. “The opening bid was $580,000 and went up slowly in increments from there. A bidder from up north was out at $610,000 and another came in at $640,000. The property was declared on the market at $640,000 and sold at $645,000.” Mr Cottee said the property attracted interest from investors thanks to the potential cash flow and good size block on two titles.More from newsLand grab sees 12 Sandstone Lakes homesites sell in a week21 Jun 2020Tropical haven walking distance from the surf9 Oct 2019“The successful buyer was an interstate investor,” he said. Mr Cottee said the Deception Bay market was performing well.“Anywhere is southeast Queensland is pretty solid at the moment though stock is pretty tight,” he said. “(In Deception Bay) it’s a mixture of buyers. “There are a lot of southern investors and there are people looking to get into the market whether they’re first homebuyers at the lower end or mums and dads looking for something in the $500,000 to $600,000 range.”Mr Cottee said he expected the area to go through a transitional phase in the next few years.“It’s pretty affordable now and it has the railway, the highway and water close by,” he said. “I expect to see a fair bit of growth.”
Top-Ranked Argonauts Roll Past #20 Wildcats Share May 9, 2007ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. – Continuing their march to third national title, top- ranked West Florida (26-3) defeated 20th ranked Abilene Christian (23-10), 5-0, in the Round of 16 at the NCAA Division II Men’s Tennis Championships at Sanlando Park. The Argonauts dominated the Wildcats without dropping a match to improve to a 2-0 in the all-time series.”I thought we played solid in doubles, and once we got the 3-0 lead, it took the pressure off in singles,” said head coach Derrick Racine. “Everyone won the first set of their singles matches and fortunately Eduardo (Cavasotti) and Nicolas (Barrientos) were able to close out the match.”The Argonauts swept the doubles action. Dante Bottini (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and Nicolas Barrientos (Cali, Colombia) pulled out a 8-6 win in the first position, improving their doubles record to 23-3 on the season. Argonaut teammates Diego Zorzi (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and Luis Arboleda (Medellin, Colombia) defeated their opponents 8-5, improving to 21-1 this season.Following the doubles action, the Argonauts earned two more points in singles play. Eduardo Cavasotti (Florianopolis, Brazil) had little trouble in defeating his opponent 6-2, 6-1, while improving his singles record to 11-10. Barrientos easily won over his opponent, 6-2, 6-0, improving his singles record to 15-9 and completing the West Florida win.West Florida will return to action tomorrow in the quarterfinals against fourth-ranked South Carolina-Upstate (23-4) at 10:30 a.m. EST. South Carolina-Upstate defeated 17th ranked Concordia (N.Y.) in Wednesday’s Round of 16. West Florida defeated South Carolina-Upstate, 6-3, earlier this season.Results:#1 Singles: Diego Zorzi (UWF) against J.J. Nunez (ACU), DNF#2 Singles: Dante Bottini (UWF) against Ryan Hudson (ACU), DNF #3 Singles: Nicolas Barrientos (UWF) def. George Carstens (ACU) 6-0, 6-2#4 Singles: Eduardo Cavasotti (UWF) def. Kevin Beeby (ACU) 6-2, 6-1#5 Singles: Luis Arboleda (UWF) against Luke Hawk (ACU), DNF#6 Singles: Luiz Bernardi(UWF) against Bryce Hicks (ACU), DNF#1 Doubles: N. Barrientos/D. Bottini (UWF) def. G. Carstens/J.J. Nunez (ACU), 8-6#2 Doubles: D. Zorzi/L. Arboleda (UWF) def. B. Hicks/L. Hawk (ACU), 8-5#3 Doubles: E. Cavasotti/L. Bernardi (UWF) def. K. Beedy/R. Hudson (ACU), 8-4 (By Gui Amaral Jasmin) Print Friendly Version
Former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard believes his omission from the starting line-up for his final match against Manchester United was “a classic case of muscle-flexing” by boss Brendan Rodgers. Gerrard, who announced at the start of the year that he would be leaving Anfield at the end of the 2014/15 season, had thought he was in line for a recall ahead of his last meeting with the Reds’ fierce rivals in March. He was surprisingly left on the bench, though, before being introduced at half-time – only to be sent off after just 38 seconds for sinking his studs into Ander Herrera in what turned out to be a 2-1 defeat. Press Association Gerrard reveals in his autobiography – ‘My Story’, being serialised in the Daily Mail – that he was summoned to Rodgers’ office before training a couple of days prior to the match, with the manager telling him he would not be starting. “‘Okay’, I nodded. ‘I respect your decision’,” Gerrard wrote. “We left it at that. I walked out and got ready for training. My mind was swimming. I couldn’t believe it. It felt to me, then, like a classic case of muscle-flexing. “My relationship with Brendan was too good for him to need to make a point to me. He was someone I respected and liked: his training sessions were among the best I had ever experienced while his man-management was excellent, generous and imaginative. “But I wondered if this was his way of showing the press that he was strong enough to make a difficult decision.” Gerrard said the ” anger in the caged animal grew and grew” during the first half of the match, leading to the red card. And following a “fair, but slamming tackle” on Juan Mata, Gerrard found himself coming face to face with Herrera. The 35-year-old wrote: ” I completed a simple pass as Herrera came flying in with his sliding tackle. His right leg stretched out invitingly on the Anfield turf. I couldn’t stop myself. “Without even giving myself time to think I brought my left foot stamping down on Herrera. I felt my studs sink into his flesh just above the ankle. It had to have hurt him.”
(BBC) – An unbeaten 85 not out from Lee-Ann Kirby helped Team Dottin secure a 26-run victory over Team Selman in the West Indies Women’s second practice match at the Incora County Ground.Kirby, along with her captain Deandra Dottin, posted 55 runs in 9.2 overs before Dottin fell to Shabika Gajnabi for 29. The remaining batters looked on as Kirby smashed the bowlers around for 7 fours and 3 sixes, as Team Dottin posted 132-5 from their 20 overs. Hayley Matthews was the pick of the bowlers for Team Selman, finishing with figures of 2-31 from her four overs.In their chase, 27 seemed to be the figure for Team Selman, as Hayley Matthews, Chinelle Henry and Shabika Gajnabi all registered the same score with the bat. Team Dottin’s bowlers stifled the scoring of Team Selman. Shamilia Connell was the best bowler for Team Dottin, finishing with figures of 2-18 from her four overs.After the match Dottin said, “These 2 practice matches felt good to be back out in the middle playing competitive cricket. Personally, it was nice spending some time at the crease after such a long layoff.Generally, we are all looking and feeling good, after the last couple weeks of training. So we’re just looking forward now to start the series on Monday and put all that hard work into action.”